Top Ten Reads of 2021

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly post hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl

It's hard to believe it's 2022 already - the past 12 months have absolutely flown by. The less said about 2021 the better, but real life aside it was quite a good year reading wise. I've found a couple of new all time favourites and broadened my horizons in terms of genre, which has made for a rather varied top ten! I think there's something here for everyone, so read on to discover my recommendations (and click on the titles to read my reviews if there's anything that piques your interest!)


Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

I knew this would be top of my favourites list for the year the second I finished it. Part coming of age story, part murder mystery, part ode to nature this is a stunning book that I would recommend to everyone. It definitely lives up to the hype.



Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid

My first Taylor Jenkins Reid novel and certainly not my last. Told in interview format, this is the story of the meteoric rise and fall of a 70s pop/rock band (loosely based on Fleetwood Mac, so I'm told). It's so realistic I struggled to believe it was fiction!



The Idea of You by Robinne Lee

On the surface a steamy summer boyband beach read this is a heart wrenching, thought provoking read. It's also ridiculously addictive. One to binge read for sure.



Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Beachside family drama, a niche favourite genre of mine, and this didn't disappoint. Loved the Eighties setting too. 



Madame Burova by Ruth Hogan

Seventies holiday camp drama. A story full of heart with a wonderful cast of characters, and a real sense of nostalgia and attention to detail for the era. 



The Metal Heart by Caroline Lea

A breathtaking (quite literally) story set on the wild and windswept Orkney Islands during the Second World War. Harrowing in parts, but I couldn't put this one down!



Beach Read

Finally got around to reading the rom-com/literary fiction mashup everyone has been talking about. Not quite what I was expecting, but I enjoyed it. And I loved Gus!



Dances & Dreams on Diamond Street

Don't be put off by the twee cover and title designed to appeal to the Strictly Come Dancing fanbase. This is a really fun, vibrant slice of 90s London nostalgia - the nightlife, the fashion, the dance/theatre world and the LGBTQ+ community.



The Layover by Lacie Waldon

A fun, sun drenched hate-to-love romance. Really enjoyed this one!



Conversations With Friends by Sally Rooney

Dare I say I enjoyed this one more than Normal People? Possibly because I went into it with no idea what to expect. I also love Sally Rooney's unusual writing style.



So there we have it, my top ten reads of 2021! Have you read any of these? Feel free to leave links to your lists below, I'm already starting to compile some recommendations for next year!


Comments