Review: Becoming Mrs Lewis by Patti Callahan

As someone who has grown up with Aslan and The Chronicles of Narnia, I've always been fascinated by CS Lewis and the imaginary world he created. I looked for the lamppost when I went to Oxford, marking the rooms in which he created the series, and Turkish delight, fur coats and snow will always hold a special significance for me.

Therefore I was thrilled when Harper Inspire so kindly sent me a review copy of Becoming Mrs Lewis, a novel detailing the life of Joy Davidman, the woman who would eventually marry Lewis. I have to admit that for all I admire CS Lewis' writing, I went into this knowing very little of the man himself. And if anything this novel has only fuelled my interest in him - I'm planning a Chronicles of Narnia reread very soon!

But of course this novel isn't about Lewis, it's about Joy Davidman. Trapped in a loveless marriage for the sake of her wonderful children, one day Joy discovers her faith which, in turn, leads her to begin a correspondence across the Atlantic with CS 'Jack' Lewis. As their friendship deepens Joy makes the journey to England, after which her life, and Jack's, will never be the same again. Despite their relationship being strictly platonic to begin with, Joy fits seamlessly into Jack's life, his home, his family, and they talk as if they've known each other forever. It's a beautiful, gentle, slow burn of a novel - Jack and Joy's connection is a meeting of minds, a fusion of souls above and beyond the physical.

Becoming Mrs Lewis is a novel of life, faith and literature, of friendship, motherhood and marriage. It is an exploration and celebration of love - in all of its forms.

*Thanks to Harper Inspire for sending me a copy of this beautiful book in exchange for a review!*

Comments