Film Review: The Greatest Showman

As soon as I saw the trailer for The Greatest Showman I knew that I would love it. I knew I'd be obsessed with it. Expectations were sky high and I really, really hoped that I wouldn't be disappointed. Hugh Jackman at his musical best, Zac Efron finally singing again, gorgeous costumes, stunning cinematography, an amazing soundtrack - what's not to love!?

I've never seen the musical adaptation of Barnum, nor do I know anything of the real life showman. So I judged this film solely with my eyes and ears, both of which were enchanted, mesmerized and thoroughly entertained. The opening number, The Greatest Show, is perhaps one of the greatest things I've ever witnessed at the cinema. That first shot of Hugh Jackman in silhouette is enough to give you goosebumps, and the rest of the number is a heart pounding, exhilarating ride. Hugh Jackman is The Greatest Showman, but the supporting cast are all brilliant, particularly Zendaya and Zac Efron, who is making a welcome return to movie musicals that I thought I might never see. The relationship between their two characters is wonderfully portrayed, and their duet Rewrite the Stars is another incredible piece of cinematography that left me in awe. Then of course there's Keala Settle, whose vocals on This is Me have got everyone talking.

Some may say that this film plays it too safe, an opinion which sadly will more than likely deny it the Oscars it so deserves. But for those like me who want for nothing more than to be entertained, this film ticks all the right boxes. If for nothing else The Greatest Showman is worth watching solely to see Hugh Jackman in his absolute element. PT Barnum is a role that he was born to play, and you can see the joy plain as day on his face as he sings and dances his way through some of the most spectacular numbers I've ever seen.

Uplifting and visually stunning, packed with songs that will be stuck in your head for days, The Greatest Showman is already up there as one of my all time favourite films. Go and see it on the big screen while you can!

Comments