End of Year Book Survey 2017

It's that time of year again! Hard to believe 12 months have passed since I last did the end of year survey, but here we are! Hosted by the lovely Perpetual Page Turner it's time once more to reflect on my past year of reading. Please do leave me links to your own lists, I love reading them!

2017 Reading Stats
Number Of Books You Read: 52
Number of Re-Reads: 1
Genre You Read The Most From: Historical Fiction

Best in Books
  • Best Book You Read In 2017? Crimson and Bone by Marina Fiorato. Marina is an auto-buy author for me.This is essentially a dark, Pre-Raphaelite Pygmalion retelling and it's brilliant!



  • Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t? The House of Birds by Morgan McCarthy. The cover is stunning and the writing style is beautiful but the plot and characters were lacking for me.

  • Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read? Lydia: The Wild Girl of Pride and Prejudice. This is a really fun, inventive take on the Austen classic and it's completely changed the way I view Lydia Bennet and Wickham.


  • Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)? The Last Piece of My Heart by Paige Toon. Paige is a new discovery for me this year. I passed this book onto my mum who is now a Paige Toon superfan as a result!


  • Best series you started in 2017? Best Sequel of 2017? Best Series Ender of 2017? The answer to all of this is the Paper Princess series by Erin Watt. I read all three in as many days. SO addictive! And now there's a fourth and impending fifth installment/spin off series. Help me.

  • Favorite new author you discovered in 2017? Rainbow Rowell. I totally get what the hype is about now!

  • Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone? Genuine Fraud. I loved E Lockhart's bestseller We Were Liars so I was intrigued to read this. A murderous thriller told backwards.



  • Book You Read In 2017 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year? The Hating Game. I read the e-book and already have the paperback ready to go!



  • Favorite cover of a book you read in 2017? The Hygge Holiday by Rosie Blake.


  • Most memorable character of 2017? Has to be the cast of The Princess Bride. Who can forget Inigo, and Fezzik?


  • Most beautifully written book read in 2017? Frenchman's Creek. I can't believe it's taken me this long to read Daphne Du Maurier!

  • Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2017? How to Stop Time by Matt Haig makes you reflect and reconsider your own life and mortality. Carpe Diem and all that.


  • Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2017 to finally read? Murder on the Orient Express. I've seen every adaptation going but I'd never read the book until this year! I decided to read it before the new film came out, and even though I knew who did it I was still gripped!

  • Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2017? Pugs and Prejudice/Outlander. 




  • OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!) Monty and Percy in The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue. All the feels.


  • Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year: Monty and Felicity TGGVAV. Mackenzi Lee has perfectly captured sibling love and rivalry and everything in between.
  • Favorite Book You Read in 2017 From An Author You’ve Read Previously: Another Woman's Husband by Gill Paul. If you like The Crown you'll love this!



  • Best Book You Read In 2017 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure: Fangirl. And I'm so glad that I did!

  • Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2017? Commander Alistair Redenhall - The Wardrobe Mistress



  • Best 2017 debut you read? The Madwoman Upstairs by Catherine Lowell. A witty and smart love letter to all things Bronte. I was amazed to discover it was a debut!

  • Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year? Close call between Crimson and Bone and The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
  • Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read? The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue. Can you tell I liked this book A LOT?
  • Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2017? This Love by Dani Atkins. I never read books with emotional endings, ever. But I got sent this one to review and I'm glad that I read it!


  • Hidden Gem Of The Year? The Cat of Yule Cottage. Part mystery, part magic, part chick-lit, part Christmas. So much more than I expected.

  • Most Unique Book You Read In 2017? Neil Gaiman: Monarch of the Glen. Decided it was time to give Gaiman a try and this was surreal to say the least!

  • Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)? Hero by Samantha Young - LOVED the characters, hated their inability to communicate with each other. But then if they actually spoke to each other then I guess we wouldn't have a story! 


Looking Ahead

  • One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2017 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2018? The Mitford Murders by Jessica Fellowes


  • Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2018 (non-debut)? Anthony Horowitz's next James Bond book, as yet untitled as far as I'm aware!
  • 2017 Debut You Are Most Anticipating? The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton. Look it up!

  • Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2018? Erin Watt's Cracked Kingdom, The Royals #5. This series is ridiculous.
  • One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2018? Write more blog posts! I've failed miserably this year...

Comments