Top Ten Tuesday: Popular Books that Lived Up To The Hype

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl


Firstly, an apology. I used to participate weekly in Top Ten Tuesdays, but my track record for updating my blog has been appalling of late. I've plenty of half written posts in my drafts so stay tuned for some new content soon! Hopefully.

Anyway, onto this week's theme: Popular books that lived up to the hype. I generally tend not to read hyped books, because more often than not I end up disappointed. Sometimes though curiosity wins out, and so here are a few that actually lived up to expectation.


1) Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. It may look unassuming but there's a lot of love for this book out there, and rightly so. It's fun, sweet, and bookworms everywhere will be able to relate to Cath.
2) Caraval by Stephanie Garber. I don't usually go in for YA fantasy but the world building and characterisation in this completely blew me away. And the sequel, Legendary, is even better.
3) Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. I was too squeamish for the TV show so I tried the book. It's a big 'un but it''s worth the effort.


4) The Princess Bride by William Golding. A tale of true love and high adventure. What's not to love? It's been a long time since I've seen the film so I'm interested to see how it compares.
5) The Rosie Project by Graham Simsion. Quirky and so lovable. I've read a few books with similar themes since, including the sequel, but none of them have ever lived up to this.
6) The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee. I saw this all over Instagram and knew I would adore it. I was right.  Probably the most fun I have had reading a book ever.


7) The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. As far as thrillers go this is fairly standard to be honest (and I saw the twist coming a mile off) but I still couldn't put it down.
8) We Were Liars by E. Lockhart. I did not see that twist coming. At all. I was in shock and immediately went back to the beginning to spot the clues.
9) The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. I saw the film first with this one. And infinitely preferred the book. One of my favourites.
10) The Hating Game by Sally Thorne. Another one that caught my attention on social media, and it's now one of my all time favourite contemporary romances. Joshua Templeman is boyfriend goals.

Have you read any of these? What's on your lists this week? 

Comments

  1. Yay Caraval!! That made my list too!!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caraval is just brilliant. I've just finished Legendary and it's amazing - I need the third installment Finale in my life right now! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. Fangirl was a pleasant surprise for me! It isn't my usual thing but people were so enamoured with it that I figured I'd give it a try and wound up really liking it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not my usual thing either, but there was so much hype I had to try it, and I'm so glad I did! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  3. Yes, the Princess Bride is timeless. Great choice there.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Princess Bride was so much fun to read! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  4. The Rosie Project and FanGirl are both on my reading wishlist as well as The Girl on the Train. Happy reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don’t read many hyped books, either. I usually find them disappointing. I loved Fangirl and Gentleman’s Guide, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caraval made my list this week, but I did it on popular YA books that I loved, because I really was unsure of which books had been hyped and which had not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to read Caraval and The Hating Game! So many of my friends have read and loved and I don't have any excuse for not picking them up besides time lol! I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed them so much too! :)
    Jen @ Star-Crossed Book Blog

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment