Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again!

Summer 2008 can be summed up in two words for me: Mamma Mia! The first time I saw the film was actually on a whim with a couple of friends. I'd never heard of the musical (or Meryl Streep if you can believe that), but it was ABBA and Greece and looked kind of fun. As soon as it started I knew I was witnessing something special. and by the time the credits rolled I knew that I would have to see it again, and soon.

The next and most memorable viewing was at a tiny old local cinema in Keswick in the Lake District. The screen had curtains and a lady sold little tubs of ice cream in the aisles. My sister, Dad and I climbed Helvellyn during the day, then met up with my Mum and my Grandma and joined the queue around the block to get in to the film (incidentally it's the only film in living memory that we've all seen at the cinema together). It was packed to the rafters, and although I had already seen the film I was completely swept along by the infectious atmosphere. People laughed, sang, and were on their feet applauding by the film's end. Nothing since has ever come close to that magic, and I very much doubt anything ever will.

That summer I saw the film a further three times. My sister and I even re-wrote some of the songs with our own lyrics (Dancing Pierce anyone), and we remade some of the musical numbers from the film - dressing up, miming along and videoing the outcome. The less said about that the better! Since then my love for the film has only grown. We bought the DVD the day it came out, and I can't not watch it whenever they show it on TV. I can pretty much recite the entire script, and although many call it a guilty pleasure I have no shame in saying it is probably my all time favourite film.

It's hard to believe ten years have passed since that magical summer, and it was with excitement, but a lot of trepidation that I set out to see the next installment: Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again. When I first found out they were making a sequel I was ecstatic. Then I learned it was more of a prequel. Then I learned that Meryl was only on set for a week. Nerves and doubts began to grow - I so didn't want the filmmakers to ruin the memory of a film that means so much to me.

As for the verdict. To be honest I think I need to see it again to fully process it. I laughed, I cried, I tapped my feet, but I came out feeling kind of underwhelmed.

This time the film has two narratives, it's a sort of prequel-sequel hybrid, part flashback to Donna's youth, part present-day cast reunion. The plot of the prequel we already know - following graduation Donna embarks on a wild and reckless summer. After a number of whirlwind love affairs, very close together, she finds herself pregnant and alone on the beautiful Greek island of Kalokairi. The younger cast did a fantastic job, nailing the accents and mannerisms of the original actors/characters. We already knew from Disney's Cinderella remake that Lily James could sing, but she was even better as young Donna than I expected her to be.

The modern-day scenes show Sophie reopening the hotel in memory of her mother. From the lack of Meryl in the trailers I fully expected Donna to have died, but I so didn't want it to be true. The plot is fairly straightforward: the gang reunite, one particularly fabulous uninvited guest arrives and Sophie announces her pregnancy. It's almost too simple.

As is the case with many musicals however, weak plots can be saved by their soundtracks. There were actually a few songs in Here We Go Again that that I didn't know, but of course as with original musicals I'll soon know every lyric. All of the musical numbers were very well shot, and I enjoyed spotting the little nods towards the first film. Angel Eyes was a particular standout for me - it was wonderful seeing Christine Baranski and Julie Walters back to their musical best - they may be an unlikely duo but they are just so brilliant together. Of course I also have to mention Cher. The big name, the star, and the film builds up to her arrival in a big way. Gaping plot hole aside (Donna definitely says in the first film that her mother is dead) Cher did a fabulous job playing Ruby Sheridan, and whilst she isn't quite as natural as the rest of the cast, her rendition of Fernando is one of the standouts on the soundtrack.

The real star of the show though is Colin Firth's Harry Bright. He steals every scene that he's in, and I only wish that we saw more of him. I'm starting a petition for a spin off standalone film!

This film wouldn't have worked as just a prequel. Without Colin, Pierce, Stellan, Julie and Christine it would have fallen flat. But it is the plot of the modern segments that lets the film down. It is set up as a reunion, yet how can it possibly be a joyous celebration without its leading lady? The camaraderie between the original cast is clear to see, but the absence of both Meryl and Donna from the majority of the film is keenly felt, and casts a sombre air over proceedings. I cried almost the entire time Pierce Brosnan, as grey haired grieving widower Sam Carmichael, was on screen, and the films ends on a particularly emotional note, leaving the audience in silence as the credits kicked in. Thankfully the credits scene (the best bit of the whole film in my opinion, aside from one spectacular Bill/Harry moment midway through), more than lived up to expectation.

All of this is not to say that this is a bad film, because it isn't. It just doesn't live up to the original for me. I don't think anything could, which is perhaps why they changed tack in this one - going for emotion instead of excitement. Those who found the first film too corny, too light and bright, will probably love this, but Mamma Mia to me IS cheese. There's plenty of comic moments here to keep fans happy, but the storyline just broke my heart.

Edit: I was asking myself whether the second film would marr my enjoyment of the first, well I have an answer. Mamma Mia was on TV this afternoon so I sat down to watch for what surely has to be the fiftieth time. And I bawled my eyes out. This film has NEVER made me cry before, but knowing now that Donna and Sam only have four years together made their scenes together so much more poignant, not to mention the mother/daughter moments between Donna and Sophie. It's still as incredibly camp and uplifting as ever, there's just an emotional edge that wasn't there before. Which surely can be no bad thing.

Comments