Review: Bridgerton / The Duke and I



This is a strange review to write. Usually I read the book first before watching the TV/tilm adaptation, but in this case I - like the majority of the nation, if not the world - raced through Netflix's Bridgerton series in a couple of days and fell madly in love (and not just with the Duke of Hastings). I actually had no intention of reading the book that inspired the show, until I spotted it in the supermarket and curiosity won out. So, rather than comparing the film to the book, I'm comparing the book to the film, if that makes sense? Strap yourselves in for a good old ramble because I have a lot of thoughts about this!


For those of you who aren't familiar with the story, here's a quick summary. Simon Basset, The Duke of Hastings, has newly returned to London society, and is already fed up with the marriage minded mothers throwing their daughters into his path. Daphne Bridgerton, through no fault of her own, is struggling to find a worthy suitor. So Simon devises a plan. If the two pretend to form an attachment he will be left alone, whilst she will instantly become more desirable to the eligible bachelors of the ton. Let the games begin.

Bridgerton is not an entirely direct adaptation of Julia Quinn's The Duke and I, it is a TV show 'inspired' by the story. And this is no bad thing. I loved the show so much I was convinced the book wouldn't live up to expectation, but it's enjoyable in its own right, and different enough that you're not constantly making comparisons. The basic plot (the ruse etc.) is similar in both the series and the book, but other than that they are very different. Whilst the book focuses solely on the main couple Simon and Daphne, as romance novels tend to do, the TV series explores the rest of the Bridgerton world as well, adding storylines, sub plots and even some new characters of its own creation. It presents a more rounded view of Regency London whilst keeping the central love story at its heart. I'd be interested to know what fans of the book make of it, but I don't think they should be worried at all. 

I do feel that we get a lot more of the 'family' vibe in the book, of the chaotic life of the Bridgerton household with eight siblings. Despite the fact that the other siblings have less to do in the book (i.e. no storylines of their own) I felt their closeness, and Daphne's fierce loyalty to her family, more on the page than on the screen. I particularly loved the scenes featuring the three eldest brothers together and wish we had more of that in the show. That said though, I was disappointed to discover that Eloise barely features in the book at all, and her wit, attitude and camaraderie with her brother Benedict was sorely missed.

Obviously the Duke is described very differently in the book, but I love the direction Bridgerton took with his character, and I much preferred TV Simon - not just in looks but personality too. He's a bit, dare I say stereotypical in the book, despite his tragic back story, and I didn't actually fall for him at all. Giving the formidable Lady Danbury a bigger role on screen was a very clever move, as was making Mrs Bridgerton less of a matchmaking obsessed 'Mrs Bennet' and more focused on the happiness of her children. 

My one criticism of the TV series would be that it wrapped up too quickly. I understand that the makers most likely wanted a proper ending just in case they didn't get renewed (little did they know...), but the epilogue set some months afterwards took away the potential for some brilliant series two drama, as did the reveal of Lady Whistledown, the anonymous society gossip columnist who isn't actually unmasked until much later on in the books - although knowing who it is it actually seemed fairly obvious to me when reading her chapter introductions!

Generally in film/TV adaptations significant parts of the the novel are often missed out. In the case of Bridgerton a lot is altered, but nothing is lost and plenty is gained. Roll on series two! 

Comments