Top Ten Tuesday: Comfort Reads

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly prompt post hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl 

Escapism. I think we could all do with some of that now right? Today for Top Ten Tuesday I'm sharing some of my favourite reads, and worlds, to retreat to when times are tough. From children's favourites to swashbuckling historical fiction, murder mysteries to rom-coms, there's something comforting about the familiar - knowing exactly what's going to happen, and knowing there's a happy ending!


Peter Pan by J.M Barrie - While my friends longed for their letter from Hogwarts, I was waiting patiently for Peter Pan to show up at my window. I think a mass trip to Neverland sounds pretty good right about now! Shall we?

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S Lewis - Another magical world where good triumphs over evil. With a talking lion. I've only read The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe from this series so now seems like the perfect time to explore the rest.

Caraval by Stephanie Garber - I haven't read much YA fantasy, but thoroughly enjoyed this series. Magical, whimsical world building and an epic plot transports you away from the here and now.



The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas - Swashbuckling fun to lose yourself in for a few hours. 

Ross Poldark by Winston Graham - What better way to escape than to start a new series and fully immerse yourself in that world. There's enough Poldark books to keep you going for a good while! 

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - Escape to a gentle world of polite society, slow burn romance and happy endings. We could certainly learn a lesson or two from Austen's characters on social distancing too! 


The Famous Five by Enid Blyton - Enid was my absolute favourite author growing up. What better time to revisit my Famous Five collection and indulge in some nostalgia.  

The Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton - The name says it all I think! Another childhood favourite. There's hundreds of worlds waiting to be explored at the top of that tree.

A Winter Beneath the Stars by Jo Thomas - Heartwarming rom-coms/chick lit is my go-to genre when I need cheering up. This one is a personal favourite. 

Agatha Christie - An established favourite for a good reason. An Agatha Christie binge read is always a good idea! Exercising those little grey cells to work out the murderer is a brilliant distraction. 


What are your comfort reads? Your favourite fictional worlds? Give me some recommendations! Stay home and stay safe everyone x

Comments

  1. There are some great stories in the rest of the Chronicles of Narnia series. I especially liked The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Enjoy!

    My TTT .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some truly great books on you list. https://pmprescott.blogspot.com/2020/04/ttt-040720.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOh nice picks! Happy to see Caraval on the list! That's one of my all time favorites now!


    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My 11yo is reading THE LION, THE WITCH, AND THE WARDROBE for the first time right now. She says it's a little hard to understand, but she's enjoying it. I loved it at her age :) Perfect escapism, as you said.

    Happy TTT!

    Susan
    www.blogginboutbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caraval is sooo atmospheric!! I adored the world and the game

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. We all need some good comfort reads these days. I'm glad these are bringing you happiness.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment