Review: The Age of Light by Whitney Scharer

"I'd rather take a photograph than be one." - Lee Miller

1929. American model Lee Miller has had enough of posing for Vogue, and moves to Paris to pursue her dream of becoming a photographer. It is here that she catches the eye of charismatic surrealist artist Man Ray, and persuades him to hire her as his assistant. Together they hone their craft, making discoveries in the dark room that will change the future of photography. Their professional and personal lives quickly become intertwined, culminating in a tempestuous and passionate relationship, but as Lee begins to make a name for herself, moving beyond her status as Man's muse, his possessive nature threatens to destroy them both.

I'll admit that my uncultured mind had never heard of Man Ray, or Lee Miller, prior to reading this book - but I'm about to embark on some research to find out how much of this story is true, and to see for myself the photographs and paintings so vividly described in the book. On reflection, I think going into this with no preconceptions made me enjoy it all the more as it enabled me to be fully immersed in the story rather than getting hung up on historical detail or characterisation as so often happens when I'm reading about real people.

I was surprised to discover that The Age of Light is Whitney Scharer's debut novel. The narrative is self-assured and sophisticated, and it puts you right inside the mind of Lee Miller. It's compelling, heady and atmospheric, fuelled by wine and the fumes of the opium dens. It's gorgeous, and I couldn't get enough of it. Miller herself isn't the most sympathetic protagonist - I didn't particularly care for either her or Man - but she's a fascinating character that you can't help but be drawn to.

Of course 1930s Paris is a character in herself, a seductive, intoxicating place that you never want to leave. Man's contemporaries feature an array of weird and wonderful characters that I'd love to know more about if they actually existed. An Author's Note wouldn't have gone amiss here to fill in the gaps - if the final copies do have one included will someone please let me know what it says!?

The Age of Light is a compelling novel of obsession and ambition, or art of love, of dark and light. My favourite book of 2019 so far!

*this review is for a proof copy of this book kindly gifted to me in a giveaway by Picador books!*

Comments

  1. Sorry for commenting on an older review... but just thought I'd say that I'd heard of Man Ray only recently in a sort of Modern Art for Dummies book I was reading (it wasn't called that, but you get the idea) so I'm going to see if my library has this one :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment