Review: Lost for Words by Stephanie Butland

You can trust a book to keep your secret . . .

Loveday Cardew prefers books to people. If you look closely, you might glimpse the first lines of the novels she loves most tattooed on her skin. But there are things she'll never show you.

Fifteen years ago Loveday lost all she knew and loved in one unspeakable night. Now, she finds refuge in the unique little York bookshop where she works.

Everything is about to change for Loveday. Someone knows about her past. Someone is trying to send her a message. And she can't hide any longer.

Loveday Cardew (brilliant name), is a reclusive, socially awkward 25 year old, who spends her days working in a second hand bookshop run by the gloriously eccentric and lovable Archie. She loves her job, but is burying herself in books to escape her past, a past that is slowly creeping up on her. Loveday's idyllic childhood was shattered when she was ten years old, and this, coupled with a mentally unstable ex-boyfriend, is enough to make her want to hide from the world. But when her world begins to change once more, this time for the better, Loveday must face  up to her past in order to embrace her future.

A book about a bookshop, set in York and Whitby. What's not to love. At least, that's the reason I picked up this book. As a Yorkshire girl myself I know the settings very well, and being able to picture them vividly really brought the story to life for me, What makes this novel though is the characters. I really liked Loveday. She puts on a sarcastic front, but underneath she just wants to be loved. She's courageous too - you have to be to have the first lines of books inked on your skin! As she opens up more you get a glimpse of the real Loveday, and the flashbacks to her youth broke my heart a little - even if I did get frustrated at her refusal to tell the truth in the present day. My favourite character though has to be Archie. Larger than life and even bigger hearted, complete with tweed clothes and a pipe, he is one of the most wonderful and generous characters I think I've ever come across. I'd love to meet someone like him in real life!

Another element of these books that I liked was the poems. Performed at poetry nights by Loveday's friends, and eventually Loveday herself, they are really well written and very quotable, and they gave you an insight into the character's mindsets.

This book is so much more than the chick-lit esque cover leads you to believe. A heartwarming story that will make you both laugh and cry. It has also left me wanting to visit all of the second hand bookshops on my next visit to York.

Comments

  1. I've never read a book where the setting is a book shop - though I have many on my TBR. I'm definitely adding this one to the collection!! I love books which seem like 'light' reads, but turn out to be much more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment