Review: Caraval by Stephanie Garber

I've heard SO much hype about this book ever since it was published. I really liked The Night Circus, which Caraval is constantly compared to, so I was excited to finally give it a go. And I loved it! I was transported utterly into the world of Caraval and its wonders.

----

Scarlett has never left the tiny isle of Trisda, pining from afar for the wonder of Caraval, a once-a-year week-long performance where the audience participates in the show. 

Caraval is Magic. Mystery. Adventure. And for Scarlett and her beloved sister Tella it represents freedom and an escape from their ruthless, abusive father. 

When the sisters' long-awaited invitations to Caraval finally arrive, it seems their dreams have come true. But no sooner have they arrived than Tella vanishes, kidnapped by the show's mastermind organiser, Legend. 

Scarlett has been told that everything that happens during Caraval is only an elaborate performance. But nonetheless she quickly becomes enmeshed in a dangerous game of love, magic and heartbreak. And real or not, she must find Tella before the game is over, and her sister disappears forever.

----

Caraval is clearly inspired by all the greats of children's literature, most notably perhaps Alice in Wonderland and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Caraval is a Wonderland, a riot of colour and sensation, populated by quirky characters. There's no telling where you'll end up, who you'll meet, what will happen to you. Then there's the mysterious and enigmatic Legend, Master of Caraval. Comparisons draw themselves between Legend and Roald Dahl's Willy Wonka - their emblematic top hats, their showmanship, their ruthless streak, their love of playing games with people, the list goes on. Unlike Willy Wonka though Legend is an absent host, governing the game from afar - an all seeing God-like character revered and feared by all.

The story is told from Scarlett's point of view. I found her a little infuriating at times: her refusal to take risks and live her own life, her determination to marry a man she'd never met. I just wanted to talk some sense into her! Her sister is the complete opposite and I only wish that we saw more of her. As for the other characters, in a world that is so chaotic it's impossible to know who to trust. There's one character in particular who kept me guessing right up until the very end, and I so wanted them to be one of the good guys.

This book is adventure. It's pure escapism, and as someone who rarely reads books in this genre it felt fresh and exciting to me. The world of the circus has always fascinated me, and in this instance it is portrayed in such an atmospheric and intoxicating way that I just couldn't stop reading.

Despite its surrealism, Caraval somehow feels more realistic than The Night Circus, and with one singular narrative it is much easier to follow and to become immersed in the story. For once I'm glad I waited for so long to read a book - at least I'm spared the torture of waiting a year for the sequel! Legendary is due out in May and I can't wait to read it!

Comments